When in the market for a home alarm system and monitoring company to protect your property, there are several factors to consider. The best alarm system companies provide proven and reliable protection and security, but, how do you know where to start? Understanding what features and services you need and how to fit the system into your family’s routine takes some careful consideration.
If you are deciding on an alarm system for your home, here are some things to consider, including tips on which features and services companies offer and how to ensure you are working with a top-rated alarm system company.
1. Take your time to review your home and determine which features you will need versus what you really want. How many doors and windows are easily accessible? Are there areas of your property that contain valuables? How often is someone home? Make a list of your security concerns as well as what could be made more convenient to determine the features that are most important to include.
2. Note the size and layout of your home and property. These measurements, or even estimates, will help determine which alarm system type and potential features, like motion sensors for large, open spaces or open/close sensors on basement windows, will be the best for you.
Two things to keep in mind:
Wireless home alarm systems have a limit to how far their wireless connectivity works as well as what materials will allow the signal to travel from the sensor to the control panel.
Also, larger homes may benefit from having multiple keypads and control panels installed both so you can monitor the alarm system from various locations and so someone isn’t trying to run to a control panel if an alarm is accidentally triggered.
Your alarm system provider will help you determine which features and system type will work best for your home.
3. Once you’ve reviewed your feature preferences, property size, and location, determine if your home is best suited for a wireless or hardwired home alarm system. While hardwired systems require a more intrusive installation done by a trained professional, they are also reliable and can connect many different components. A wireless home alarm system has the benefit of easy installation, but limitations when it comes to the size of the property it can protect. The highest-rated alarm system companies offer the newest technology and equipment, so make sure the companies you’re consider are up-to-date on what’s available.
4. Determine whether or not you want monthly monitoring services included in your alarm system for home service package. Monthly monitoring services put a trained professional in your corner when it comes to any incidents. These trained professionals know how to respond to any alert your home alarm system may send, including false alarms. Monthly monitoring fees often average between $30-$45 and are well worth the cost.
5. Many alarm systems for homes include things like fire and smoke monitoring, carbon monoxide detection, flood or water leakage alerts, even cold weather notifications. Most alarm system companies will provide environmental monitoring as part of their base monthly fee, and can tell you about how they decrease emergency response time and save lots of time and money in the event of an incident.
6. An individual or family should be able to integrate the system into their lifestyle without too much hassle. Features like smartphone applications and automatic control settings help to simplify using your system. Some families benefit from custom key codes for each family member with keyless entry points installed while others prefer automatic alerts via text message about the status of their home alarm system. Speak with a customer service representative about your family’s habits and schedule to help you determine which convenience features to include in your new home alarm system and to provide guidance on even more ways to fit your home alarm system with your lifestyle.
7. When choosing a home alarm system company, it is always wise to ensure you are working with one of the highest-rated alarm system companies on the market. Working with a company that has a proven track record of protection, great customer service and offering the most up-to-date features will ensure your investment is worthwhile.8Once your alarm system is installed, make sure you are using all of the features of the system. For example, making sure you have set up all of your desired custom alerts and taking the time to understand any smartphone apps or website will make your alarm system most effective. The more features and settings you use, the more value you get for the money you pay to own and monitor your home alarm system.
8. Once your alarm system is installed, make sure you are using all of the features of the system. For example, making sure you have set up all of your desired custom alerts and taking the time to understand any smartphone apps or website will make your alarm system most effective. The more features and settings you use, the more value you get for the money you pay to own and monitor your home alarm system.
9. Teach your family members to properly use and respond to your home alarm system. It is important that every member of your house know their roles when it comes to the alarm system. Understanding how to arm and disarm the system when leaving the house or staying home alone and reviewing emergency procedures will improve the overall safety of your family.
10. Lastly, be sure to maintain your system and check for upgrades from your home alarm system company. Home alarm system companies offer scheduled maintenance suggestions for both wired and wireless alarm systems, and the top rated alarm system companies contact their clients if any upgrades to programs or equipment are needed. Staying on top of these maintenance issues will ensure you don’t have any lapse in coverage.
These 10 considerations for choosing and using your home alarm system will help you get the best system and get the most out of your system while keeping your family and property secure. Talk to your home alarm system company for any additional tips they have or to ask any questions about your home alarm system.